Tuesday 1 February 2011

just a jealous girl

I remember seeing the first sketches for rodarte's black swan costume design efforts and thinking holy effing crap, i need to see this film. I typed the words "black swan costume design rodarte" furiously into every search engine ever invented and read each article with obsessive curiousity.



I knew i would have to watch black swan at least twice; the first time i saw the film, i became engrossed in a tutu induced trance, staring at the costumes and becoming oblivious to the plot, setting or anything beyond those designs. Visually, the costumes brought the film to another level, combining the softness of traditional ballet-wear with the forboding tone of the thriller to create the image of an ethereal goddess, trapped in darkness.

The rodarte sisters spoke proudly of their contribution, saying, "I think our aesthetic naturally fits into the film and I think it was an interesting thing to have someone say, ‘Help us say this thing.’ It didn't feel difficult at all. It was very natural. It was one of the most exciting things for us to do because the end project was breathtaking." However, despite all the publicity received through these interviews, it seems that someone wants her thunder back...


The official costume designer for Black Swan, Amy Wescott has spoken of her disappointment in being overlooked in favour of the mulleavy duo. "I was happy for Rodarte's persistent publicity efforts at first; I'm so proud of the film and anything that brings it to an even wider audience is genuinely welcome. I tried to put aside my ego while being airbrushed from history in all of their interviews, as I'm just not that kind of person anyway. But when articles were planted that attacked me personally as if I had conspired against them I felt nothing but despair and betrayal" Wescott didn't hesitate in reaffirming that Rodarte's effort was simply a contribution that did not extend beyond SEVEN pieces.

Yea yea, we get it, you want recognition. Personally, i think she's just pissed about missing out on an Oscar nomination and, if i'm being really honest (and slightly bitchy) those seven Rodarte pieces were the best thing in the whole darn movie...except Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassell, the cast in general, the plot and the lesbian sex scene....


No comments:

Post a Comment