Monday 21 February 2011

To infinity and beyond

I am sick

I mean, i am horrendously ill with the flu. As a "habitual merchant of excessive disapproval" , or world's biggest whinge if you ask my mother, there is no point trying to sympathise with my pain because no other ailment in the history of sickness can compare with the intensity of my affliction. I am dying.

However, when it comes to fashion week, no amount of snot and splutters can stop me writing a collection review with a self indulgent flare. Not even a KOMA can stop me. get it? HA. too much aspirin.

As i calm down and stop complaining about my terrible life, PREPARE to be captivated by the number one, incomparable, champion, inimitable collection in the history of London Fashion Week. Ok, i admit that  exaggeration may be a side effect of abusing of over the counter cold remedies but David Koma's a/w 2011 line goes up there with the greats.

Dedicated aficionados of Koma's graduate collection will not be disappointed. Today was the revival of the progressive avant-garde futurism that we first hankered for.

image

 Koma epitomised brave innovation by spawning provocative yet sexless body-con dresses, generating mystery through a feeling of sci-fi power dressing. He mainly played with black to perpetuate structure and rigidity but partially concealed firework explosions of space fiction colour bombs for a chilling sort of excitement.

Most personal to me, was the influence behind the collection. The subject of David Koma's creative affection is Yayoi Kusama; a japanese artist whose work is pure conceptual brilliance. Her abstract paintings deal mainly with intrusive thoughts and hallucinations portrayed by the obsessive repetition of polka dots. Kusama, who now lives as an in-patient in a mental hospital, believes these polka dots to be representative of the centrifical force which guides us; they are the sun, the energy and a way to infinity.

Poignantly, David Koma took  Kusama's demons with him, alongside her artwork. He beautifully captured a haunting darkness through impressionist prints of a polka dot stained face. The result was epic, cinematic pop-art which appeared to me as permeating mirages or a tormenting phantasm. it was intense creation.

I had a magic moment with this collection, like taking a piece of history with you in one bewildered breath.



No comments:

Post a Comment